Does CDFW offer e-learning opportunities for new anglers?

Halieutics resources

Q: I want to fish but I don’t know how and there are no clinics offered in my area. Does CDFW offer e-learning opportunities?

A: Yes – there is a series of short videos covering basic fishing techniques available on the CDFW YouTube channel which are subtitled in English and Spanish. The videos cover the basics of fishing, including knotting, casting, rigging, safety and more. One of the great things about these videos is that if you’re out fishing and need a quick refresher, you can watch them online or download them to your phone. CDFW’s Recruit, Retain, Reactivate (R3) team also has a webpage with information and resources to help you get started fishing. It can also be helpful to ask other anglers along the shore for help, as most are more than happy to help bring new anglers to the sport. Remember that a fishing license is required for all anglers 16 years of age or older. A license can be purchased online or at most stores that sell fishing tackle, including many drugstore chains.

If you’ve mastered the basics and are looking to develop your skills as an angler, consider attending one of the virtual gatherings offered by CDFW’s Fishing in the City program. Featuring a different topic each week, these online workshops provide a space to ask questions and learn tips, tricks and best practices from CDFW staff and fellow anglers.

Wildlife Officers

Q: I want to become a wildlife officer. What are the requirements to become one and how does the application schedule work?

A: Thank you for your interest! The next application deadline is December 1, 2022, so mark your calendar and take a self-assessment to see if the career is right for you. The first thing you need to do is make sure you meet our minimum qualifications. The strictest minimum qualification is the education requirement. To be a wildlife officer, you must complete 60 college credits, 18 of which are from a related field. However, you can apply with only 30 college units, 18 of which must be earned in a related field. In this case, you will need to continue taking college courses during the application/background process to meet the 60 unit requirement by the time you start the academy.

Newly updated related fields are Accounting, Agriculture, Animal Science, Anthropology, Astronomy, Biological Sciences, Botany, Business, Chemistry, Computer Science, Communication, Conservation, criminal justice, ecology, economics, English, entomology, environmental management, environmental science, environmental studies, ethnic studies, fisheries or wildlife management, forestry, Geography, Geology, Herpetology, History, Law Enforcement, Life Sciences, Mammalogy, Marine Biology, Marketing, Statistics, Military Transfer Credits, Multidisciplinary Studies, Natural Resource Conservation, Oceanography, Ornithology, Physics, Police Science, Psychology , plant taxonomy, political science, public administration, social studies, sociology and all social sciences, water quality management, wilderness survival and zoology.

You can have 18 units in any combination of the above classes and it doesn’t have to be your major.

Other qualifications include:

• Be a US citizen or lawful permanent resident who has applied for citizenship (you must be a citizen at the time of nomination).

• Possess a valid driver’s license.

• No felony conviction or conviction for an offense that disqualifies you from carrying a firearm under federal or state law.

• Be in good physical condition, able to pass the physical aptitude test, a medical evaluation and a psychological evaluation.

Last year, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) Law Enforcement Division updated its deadlines for the application/hiring process. The deadlines are March 1, June 1, September 1 and December 1. This means you have more opportunities to start the hiring process.

CDFW has also made a recent change to its review process, the POST Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB). The PELLETB tests the candidate’s basic knowledge of grammar and spelling as well as their ability to read, write and understand the English language. CDFW offers the PELLETB test. However, applicants are encouraged to take the PELLETB test and obtain their “T-Score” from an agency/department/academy where they live. The PELLETB test can be taken every 30 days, giving candidates the opportunity to improve their T-Score. Your PELLETB T-Score will be accepted if you took it within three years of your application date and received a score of 42 or higher. You will also need to provide proof (usually an official letter from the invigilator) of your T PELLETB score when you submit your application.

Applicants who apply before the March 1, June 1 and December 1 deadlines must provide their own T-score or their application will be rejected. Applicants who submit applications without a PELLETB T-score by the September 1 deadline will be invited to the November PELLETB administration, hosted by CDFW.

The following documents are required when applying:

• A completed State/Employment Examination Application (STD 678) (PDF)

• Unofficial transcripts

• Additional Criminal Record Questionnaire (PDF form)

• T-Score PELLETB (for the March 1, June 1 and December 1 maturities)

You can submit the required documents through the following email address (emailed documents are preferred): [email protected].

You can also send a copy of all required documents to:

California Department of Fish and Wildlife

Attention: HR – Review Unit

PO Box 944209

Sacramento, CA 94244

To be considered for the next round of hiring, you must submit your application by December 1, 2022. Please contact our Law Enforcement Recruiter, Lt. Perry Schultz at [email protected] for more information.

If you have a question you’d like to see answered in the California Outdoors Q and A column, email it to [email protected].

Comments are closed.