Advantages and disadvantages of online learning for students and teachers in 2022
In this article, we are going to look at the pros and cons of distance education for students and teachers in 2022. Let’s find out what is more difficult or possible in distance education, and if there are any prospects for online learning.
What is the difference between regular and online education
Online education differs from conventional education primarily in the way the teacher and student interact – either live or using information technology. But besides that, there is another significant difference between traditional and distance learning systems – it lies in the approach to education itself.
Offline learning in a school, university or course involves more transfer of knowledge and subsequent control by the teacher. For online learning, the focus is more on knowledge acquisition, self-study, self-motivation and student discipline. This even includes courses, learning apps, and even online writing services.
In addition, the role of the teacher may also differ. In traditional education, the teacher usually serves not only as a lecturer, but also as a mentor, counselor and even psychologist. This is most often the case at school and less often at university. In the distance format, their tasks generally consist of presenting the material competently, answering questions and organizing knowledge tests.
Is online education suitable for everyone?
Distance learning is no longer just a fashionable trend, but a full-fledged means of acquiring knowledge. The transition to this system is different for everyone.
Today’s children, teens and students are tech savvy and used to digital interaction. For them, it is quite easy to study while sitting on a phone, tablet or laptop. Of course, not everyone can get into the learning process right away, but you can adapt over time.
Adults, especially the elderly and retired, sometimes have difficulty with distance education – they need to understand not only the principles of online education, but sometimes the gadgets themselves. However, technology is improving, becoming clearer and closer, so if everyone wants to understand a new area and take the opportunity to learn something new.
If we talk about the disciplines that can be studied offline or online, here too, it all depends on the situation. For example, many school subjects are quite easy to learn from a distance, although preschool and primary school children’s reading and writing skills are much more effective in a traditional, face-to-face format. . Or, for example, students: there are whole professions that can be obtained while sitting at home, and there are specialties that cannot do without full-time practice – doctor, seamstress, engineer , etc.
Why are people switching to distance learning?
According to statistics, the most common reasons for switching to distance learning are:
- Family (moving to another city/country or simply the choice of the parents/student himself);
- for health reasons (impossibility to attend classes due to health threats, serious medical contraindications, injury, etc.);
- unintentional (e.g. COVID-19 pandemic or other unforeseen situations in the country or city that make full-time course attendance difficult).
If there are no external circumstances and you make your own decision, then you need to do some research first – to understand the intricacies of the system, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of online learning.
Advantages and disadvantages of distance learning
Online education can be approached in different ways. The advantages and disadvantages of distance learning for everyone depend on many factors. We offer you to consider how distance education is better compared to full-time education and what disadvantages can be highlighted for students.
Getting a higher education online is becoming increasingly popular. Last year, many students had to switch to formal distance education due to the pandemic of infrequent college attendance, but many in principle reconsidered the higher education study process on their own.
To date, we can highlight the following advantages of distance education for students:
- you can study at a university in any city or country;
- save money – online education is often cheaper, you don’t need to spend money on travel, dorms, etc. ;
- saving time and the possibility of better planning your day;
- more opportunities to find a job or part-time work;
- Individual contact with the teacher, the possibility of asking questions and asking for help;
- you can study in different places at the same time and obtain several degrees.
- Possible lack of motivation and self-discipline;
- lack of practice (depending on the specialty);
- lack of communication with classmates.
Distance learning came as a surprise to many school and university teachers, and each of them had to get used to the unfamiliar format, finding new solutions to familiar learning tasks.
The following advantages of e-learning for teachers can be distinguished:
- Saving travel time to the workplace;
- convenient storage and display of teaching materials (no need to carry textbooks and materials to class);
- learn new technologies.
- The need to master unfamiliar platforms and programs (knowledge from previous work experience may be lacking);
- the need to have the right equipment for the job;
- We must readapt to the distance learning format, which is fundamentally different from face-to-face;
- possible difficulties with certification (it is difficult to keep track of not cheating).
(Visited 1 time, 1 visits today)